June Artwalk: Courtney Morgan...Music by Elliot Knapp


June is already upon us, which means we're showing new art! It's a real pleasure for me to introduce our June artist because she's a close personal friend. Courtney Morgan is a Walla Walla native. She majored in art at Whitman College and recently received an MA in design studies at Central St. Martin's College of Art and Design in London. Her show, titled "Please Clap Your Hands," is a collection of oil paintings inspired by a visit to a friend's farm house in Denmark, the colors in a display case at a Florence gelateria, and song lyrics. She describes her paintings as clean, bright, hopeful and poignant. The bright, lively colors are looking great in Miro Tea's space, and I'd add that Courtney's inimitable sense of humor is also evident in spades.
As usual, the Artwalk event opens the second Saturday of the month--many Ballard businesses will be showing art as well. In celebration of Courtney's opening, we'll also be featuring some live music at the event. Performing this Saturday night will be...well, er, me. Since my lyrics are integrated into some of Courtney's paintings, I agreed to emerge from self-imposed exile to perform. I'll be joined on"stage" for a few songs by another Miro employee, Nick Arthur. I hate to have to describe my own music, so I'll say that I write and sing songs, accompanying myself on acoustic guitar. The songs I write are sometimes difficult to box into tidy genre categories, but things that are important to me as a songwriter are lyrics, interesting guitar parts, and experimentation. I've been making music for about 8 years and performed quite a bit in college but have lately been sidelined due to some health issues with my vocal cords.
Courtney's opening is a special event for me, though, so I'm ecstatic to be able to participate. I've got a song sample on my Myspace for anyone interested. The art opening and music will go from 7-9 pm and should be a really fun time.

Courtney's paintings will be up all month--please feel free to stop by for a look if you can't make it to the opening! I'll be back soon to discuss some tea news...

Elliot

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...