Autumnal Landscapes: Kathleen Wolfe - Oct. Artist of the Month






One of the greatest perks for me of owning and running my own business has been the freedom to customize what we do, so I can dabble in other interests that are also meaningful to me, one of which is art.  Mind you, as much as I wish, I don't have a lick of skill, talent or drive to be an artist myself but it doesn't lessen the fact that I love art.  As an entrepreneur, I empathize with the process of having an idea or vision and then to brave the process of extracting that idea out of our heads and into the real world, where it is made tangible and experienced by others. There is very little in this world that is more satisfying to me than the process of creation.  But unlike business, the enjoyment of art, similar to tea, has the ability to calm and focus my thoughts, forcing me to be in touch with my senses while being honest with myself, to be refective.  What do I see?  What are my reactions? How do I feel about what I see? What do I know or don't know that would help me understand what I see?  In tasting tea, I ask these same questions but in context of smell and taste as well.




Finding a space with over 15 feet tall ceilings and almost enless amounts of wall space for artwork, has given me the opportunity to combine my love of art and tea. I have so thoroughly enjoyed working with all the artists that have shown at Miro over the last several years.  Witnessing how each month, our store is morphed and injected with new style and energy with each new artist. And this month, we welcome the month of October with the beautifully painted oil landscapes of Kathleen Wolfe.

There is something special about oil landscapes that warms a space and makes you want to curl up in your favorite corner with a good book and a cup of tea.  They transport you to another place and time, make you nostalgic for old libraries and simpler times.  This month, Miro Tea has been transformed again with dreamy scenes of places forgotten and unseen.  The store feels warm and cozy and in some ways, more intimate.


As with most artist's works, Kathleens' paintings are best viewed in person.  My photography fails to capture all the depth and variegation of colors as well as the heavy textures from her loaded brush that brings great dimension and mood to the each of the paintings.  You can see more close up photos of her work on her blog, here, but they truly are worth seeing in person.   My favorite one is in the top photo, in the bottom left corner.  When viewed up close, the blossoms of the cherry trees glisten as the sun shines through and fragments onto the grassy slope.  Everytime I look at that painting, I want to dive in and sit under that very tree and stare up at the pretty white flowers and just be lost for awhile.   


If you would like to learn more about the Kathleen and her work, I invite you to join us Oct. 9th from 6pm - 9pm, for the monthly Ballard Artwalk. You can view the paintings in person and speak with the artist herself.  Hope you can come!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...